This Chai-spiced Vegan Crème Brûlée is seriously incredible. Completely free from dairy and eggs, it still has a perfect, soft, custard-like filling that's just like the real thing.
- 1 13.5oz can full fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp Arbor Teas Masala Chai Tea
- ½ cup canned coconut cream
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1/2 cup caster sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- Pinch sea salt
- Pour coconut milk into a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add tea, stir and simmer at low heat for 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat, strain and let cool.
- When cooled, add to a blender with coconut cream, vanilla, 1/4 cup of caster sugar, maple syrup, almond milk, arrowroot and salt. Blend until well combined.
- Pour into saucepan and heat over medium. Let mixture thicken (it will take about 10-20 minutes over heat), stirring frequently to prevent burning. When the mixture is somewhere between a pudding and a loose custard (see post for visual guide), remove from heat.
- Immediately transfer to ramekins. Chill in refrigerator for at least 4 hours, preferably 6-8.
- When finished chilling, remove from refrigerator and top with an even layer of remaining sugar. Use a blowtorch to caramelize sugar until it forms a solid layer. Enjoy!
Keywords: vegan creme brulee