Who knew vegan crab cakes, made with hearts of palm and Old Bay seasoning for that signature flavor, could be so easy and tasty? Served with vegan tartar sauce, these crispy cakes are a festive summer dinner.
For the vegan crab cakes:
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup packed parsley, chopped
- ½ cup gluten free panko bread crumbs + more for coating
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 can of hearts of palm, roughly chopped
- Olive oil for cooking
For the vegan tartar sauce:
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise, such as Sir Kensington’s Fabanaise
- 2 dill pickle spears, finely diced
- 1 scallion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp capers
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ¼ cup packed parsley, finely diced
- 1 tbsp dried tarragon
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp caper juice
- Add chickpeas, bell pepper, scallions, jalapeño, garlic, Old Bay, Dijon mustard, parsley, ½ cup panko bread crumbs, and salt to a food processor. Pulse a few times to break everything down into a cohesive mixture. Be careful not to overprocess and turn it into mush.
- Transfer the chickpea mixture to a mixing bowl. Add the chopped hearts of palm and mix with your hands to combine thoroughly. Form the dough into 6 cakes, 2 inches wide and about ½ inch thick.
- Place the cakes on a plate in the fridge to chill for at least 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the vegan tartar sauce by combining all of the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil. Add a thin layer of panko to a clean plate and dredge your chilled crab cakes on both sides in the panko. Fry the cakes, adding more oil as necessary so you constantly hear sizzling, until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes on each side. Work in batches to avoid crowding the pan.
- When the cakes are done frying, transfer them to a baking sheet and place in the oven to heat through, 10-15 minutes.
For non-vegans, you can use Worcestershire sauce in place of the caper juice in the tartar sauce.
Artichoke hearts may work in place of hearts of palm
Keywords: vegan crab cakes