There's nothing better than homemade ice cream. Churn up your own cookie dough ice cream with this vegan and gluten free recipe.
Ice Cream Base:
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup cashews, soaked for 1-2 hours in room temp water
- ⅓ cup maple or agave syrup
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp fine kosher salt
Cookie Dough Bites:
- ¼ cup vegan butter, softened to room temp
- ⅓ cup creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp cane sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups oat flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
Ice Cream Base:
- Soak cashews for 2 hours in room temperature water. After 2 hours, drain and rinse.
- In a blender, combine all of the ice cream ingredients: 1 can full-fat coconut milk, 1 cup soaked cashews, ⅓ cup maple or agave syrup, 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract, and ¼ tsp fine kosher salt. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into the ice cream maker and start the cycle.
Cookie Dough Pieces:
- While the ice cream is churning, add the ¼ cup vegan butter to a mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer, beat until creamy.
- Add in ⅓ cup creamy peanut butter, ¼ cup maple syrup, 2 tbsp sugar and 1 tsp vanilla and continue mixing until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, stir together 2 cups oat flour and ¼ tsp salt. Add this oat and salt mixture to the butter mixture and mix until well incorporated. Stir in ½ cup mini chocolate chips.
- Spread the cookie dough onto a rimmed tray (make sure that it will fit in your freezer first) lined with parchment paper and press down. To get an even distribution, top the cookie dough with another sheet of parchment paper and press down with another cookie sheet.
- Put in the freezer for 30-40 minutes. Remove from the freezer and cut into ¼ inch sized cubes. Put back into the freezer and keep stored until ready to mix into the ice cream.
- Once the ice cream is finished, transfer to a freezer container and fold in the cookie dough pieces. Freeze until set, which usually takes 3 to 4 hours.
Fold in cookie dough bites after churning: Most ice cream makers will instruct you to add the cookie dough in while it's still churning, but we prefer to fold it in afterwards to retain the large bites of cookie dough.
Soaking the cashews: Since we're not using milk, the soaked cashews are key to creating a smooth, creamy texture. Don't skip this step! If you're super short on time, you can soak the cashews in super hot water for 20-30 minutes.
Sweetener: We used maple syrup in this recipe, but you can also use agave nectar, date syrup, etc.
Coconut milk: Make sure to use full fat to ensure maximum creaminess.
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Freeze Time: 3 hours
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Frozen
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Scoop
- Calories: 284
- Sugar: 12.3 g
- Sodium: 134.4 mg
- Fat: 17.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 28.3 g
- Fiber: 1.9 g
- Protein: 6.3 g
Keywords: vegan cookie dough ice cream