This vegan spring vegetable pasta is loaded with seasonal produce like leeks, asparagus and peas with a lemony white wine sauce and toasted herbed breadcrumbs for topping. It's so delicious, easy to make gluten free and takes less than 30 minutes to make!
- 3 tbsp vegan butter, divided
- 2 leeks, washed well and finely diced* (~1 cup)
- 2 tsp finely minced garlic (1-2 cloves)
- 6 oz shiitake mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 1 bunch of asparagus, sliced into 1 inch pieces (~2 cups)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen shelled peas
- 1 tsp fine grain kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 6 oz fettuccine, linguine or other pasta of choice
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup pine nuts (optional)
- 1/3 cup Italian style breadcrumbs (regular or gluten free)
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp melted vegan butter
- Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions.
- Heat 1 1/2 tbsp vegan butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring often, until softened. Add garlic and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and continue cooking for a minute or two.
- Add asparagus, peas, dill, oregano and 1/2 tsp of salt and continue cooking for 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining 1 1/2 tbsp of butter, broth, wine, lemon juice and zest and remaining 1/2 tsp of salt and red pepper flakes. Let cook for 6-8 minutes, until the sauce reduces.
- In a small bowl, stir together breadcrumbs, parsley and butter.
- Add in the cooked pasta and toss well to coat in sauce and vegetables. Plate and serve with pine nuts and breadcrumbs.
*Leeks: for this pasta, you'll only be using the white and light green part of the leek. The dark green part is very tough and slightly bitter, so it's not great for pasta. You can, however, save it and use in homemade vegetable broth.
Breadcrumb topping: the crispy, buttery breadcrumb topping is technically optional, but highly encouraged! It's the perfect finishing touch.If preferred, you can briefly toast the breadcrumbs in a skillet over medium-low heat until golden brown.
Mushrooms: we used shiitake in this recipe, which tend to have a meatier, richer flavor and texture. Feel free to sub with another variety like cremini or another type of wild mushroom.
Asparagus: to properly prep asparagus for cooking, snap off the bottom inch or so of the pale woody stem. You only want to use the tender green part.
White wine: use a dry white wine for the sauce, like a Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 366
- Sugar: 6.9 g
- Sodium: 835.3 mg
- Fat: 12.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 55.3 g
- Fiber: 6.4 g
- Protein: 11 g
Keywords: spring vegetable pasta