This simple vegan burst cherry tomato pasta is a summer weeknight dinner hero. We use orecchiette pasta, fresh basil and parsley, vegan parmesan and an easy white wine garlic sauce to pack in flavor for a delicious meal ready in less than 30 minutes.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced (1/2 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic (2 tsp), minced
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan-style cheese
- 1/2 cup vegan mozzarella-style cheese
- 16 oz orecchiette pasta
- Cook orecchiette pasta in salted water according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, sauté shallots and garlic in olive oil over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. When softened, add butter and white wine and let reduce for a minute or two.
- Add tomatoes and sauté until softened and blistered, stirring often, about 8-10 minutes. Add herbs and cheese and stir well until cheese is melted. Add drained pasta and toss well to coat in sauce.
- Top with more cheese, basil and red pepper flakes.
Use a wooden spoon to puncture any stubborn tomatoes: most of the tomatoes will burst and release their juice as they cook in the pan, but some are a bit more stubborn than others. Use the back of a spoon to gently press down on the tomatoes – just be careful as they tend to splatter!
Don't let the sauce reduce for too long/at too high heat: if the sauce reduces too much, there won't be enough to coat the pasta.
Pasta: we love how well this sauce coats orecchiette pasta, but you can sub with any variety of choice.
White wine: opt for a dry white wine, like Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Pasta
Keywords: burst cherry tomato pasta