If your family is anything like ours, everyone wants different topping for their breakfast bowl, which is why we’ve included both a vegan and non-vegan version.
- 4 cups cooked quinoa (we cook ours in vegetable broth instead of water for more flavor and season generously with olive oil, salt and pepper when finished)
- 1 cup cubed extra-firm tofu
- 4 soft-boiled eggs (instructions below)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 4 thinly sliced radishes
- 2 avocados
- Pickled red onion (optional)
- Microgreens (or other leafy green of choice)
- For garnish: Salt, pepper, sesame seeds, tahini, hummus, etc.
- Prepare quinoa according to package directions. As mentioned above, we cook ours in vegetable broth, which adds a lot more flavor. Once cooked, we season it with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Tofu: Press tofu to remove as much moisture as possible. Cube into 1 inch pieces. Heat a pan to medium and drizzle with olive oil. Add tofu and cook for 7-10 minutes, stirring frequently. Don’t stir too frequently – you want the tofu to get crispy (without burning, of course). Season with salt, pepper and any other spices of choice.
- Soft-boiled eggs: This Bon Appétit method produces perfect soft-boiled eggs every time. We suggest reading the full article, but essentially, bring a pot of water to a boil, boil eggs for 6 1/2 mins, transfer to ice bath for 2 minutes and serve.
- To blister cherry tomatoes, add to a hot pan drizzled with olive oil. Toss occasionally until blistered and softened (about 7 minutes).
- Build your bowl by starting with a large base of quinoa and then garnishing. Enjoy!