Savory roasted eggplant, umami-rich roasted tomatoes, briney capers and sweet caramelized onions make this comforting veggie-packed pasta a must-have weeknight dinner.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium eggplant, cubed
- 1 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 10–20 cherry tomatoes or 4 small tomatoes, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb rotini pasta, gluten-free if necessary
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- Fresh basil, for topping
- Vegan grated parmesan, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Add the diced eggplant to a clean dish towel and sprinkle liberallly with salt. Let the eggplant sit for at least 10 minutes, and up to 30. Then wring the entire dish cloth out over the sink, removing as much liquid as possible. Transfer the eggplant to a baking sheet and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil and a pinch of salt.
- Roast for 10 minutes and remove from the oven. Add the tomatoes to the baking sheet with the eggplant, toss well, and return to the oven. Roast until the tomatoes burst and the eggplant is golden brown, another 15 to 20 minutes.
- While the eggplant roasts, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a high-sided skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and cook until they begin to carmelize, about 15 minutes. Add the minced garlic and a pinch of salt.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta, and cook the pasta to al dente, according to package instructions. Drain and add the cooked pasta to the pot with the onions, off the heat.
- While the pasta cooks, place a small non-stick skillet over medium heat with the pine nuts. Toast, tossing the skillet constantly, until the nuts are golden brown on all sides. Watch them carefully, as they burn easily. Once toasted, transfer the nuts to a bowl or plate.
- Once the eggplant and tomatoes are finished, add them to the pot with the onions and pasta. Add capers, red pepper flakes, olive oil to taste and top with fresh basil. Serve with vegan parm at the table.
Keywords: vegan roasted eggplant pasta