The phrase "eat the rainbow" takes on a fresh new spin in this Rainbow Summer Slaw. Crunchy red cabbage, sweet peppers, carrots, and shaved zucchini gets dressed up with a spicy Asian dressing and crunchy pumpkin seeds.
- 2 tsp agave or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1-2 teaspoons Sriracha or chili garlic sauce, plus more if you like it spicy
- Juice from 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 small head of purple cabbage, shredded in a food processor or thinly sliced
- 2 medium-small carrots, peeled and peeled into ribbons
- 6 thick asparagus stalks, peeled into ribbons
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 mango, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- Black sesame seeds for garnish, optional
- To make the dressing, whisk together the maple syrup, tamari, ginger, Sriracha or chile garlic sauce, lime juice, sesame oil and vinegar in a large bowl. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt or more lime juice.
- Add the cabbage, carrots, asparagus, celery, red bell pepper, and mango to the large bowl with the dressing. Whisk the dressing one more time before adding everything!
- Toss the slaw well, adding the pumpkin seeds as you go.
- When using a peeler to make ribbons out of the carrots and asparagus, once you get to the point when you can't create nice long peels anymore, simply slice the remaining carrot or asparagus thinly lengthwise. A little texture from the thicker pieces will be nice in the slaw! I recommend shredding the cabbage in a food processor, but if you decide to cut it yourself, be sure to slice it very thinly. Large, chewy pieces of raw cabbage are not the texture we’re going for.
- No need to remove the woody bottoms from the asparagus. After you peel them into ribbons, they’re no longer tough!
- Prep Time: 20
- Category: Side
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: Thai-American
- Serving Size: One large side serving
- Calories: 318
- Sugar: 14.5 g
- Sodium: 797.3 mg
- Fat: 19.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 31.6 g
- Fiber: 9.9 g
- Protein: 11.7 g
Keywords: Summer Slaw