Can you believe this pulled mushroom sandwich is vegan?! It looks and tastes surprisingly similar to meat, but it’s made with just mushrooms. Perfect for your next summer bbq – you might even get some carnivores to give it a try!
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, sliced thinly
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, shredded (see photo in blog post)
- 8 oz shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced thinly
- 16 oz button mushrooms, sliced thinly or shredded
- 1 cup vegetable broth (low sodium)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp low sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp dried mustard
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Small head of purple cabbage, sliced thinly
- Juice of one small lime
- 1 tsp salt
- Buns, toasted
- Spicy vegan mayo
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium. Add oil, onions and salt. Sauté on medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 30-40 minutes, stirring often, until caramelized. Deglaze pan with water or vegetable broth if needed.
- Wash mushrooms and pat gently with clean towel to dry. Very thinly slice the shiitake and button mushrooms. Wash mushrooms and set on paper towels to dry off. Thinly slice the shiitake mushrooms after removing the stems.
- Use a spoon to remove dark gills from the underside of the portobello mushrooms. Slice portobellos into quarters and use a fork to shred.
- Add all mushrooms to pan with onions and stir well. Cook down for 8-10 minutes, stirring several times.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, stir together all of the dry spices in a small bowl.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together broth, tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, tamari, and sriracha.
- Pour into mushroom and onion mixture along with spices and continue cooking for 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice cabbage thinly and toss in lime juice and salt. Let sit while mushrooms are cooking.
- To assemble sandwiches, lightly toast buns. Spread mayo on bottom of bun, top with mushroom mixture, cabbage and pickles. Enjoy!