Can you believe this pulled mushroom sandwich is vegan?! It looks and tastes surprisingly similar to meat, but it’s made with just mushrooms. Perfect for your next summer bbq – you might even get some carnivores to give it a try!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, sliced thinly
- 1–1 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, shredded (see photo in blog post)
- 10 oz shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced thinly
- 16 oz button mushrooms, sliced thinly or shredded
- 1 cup vegetable broth (low sodium)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp low sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp dried mustard
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Small head of purple cabbage, sliced thinly
- Juice of one small lime
- 1 tsp salt
- Buns, toasted
- Spicy vegan mayo
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium. Add oil, onions, and 1/2 tsp of salt. Sauté on medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 30-40 minutes, stirring often, until caramelized. Deglaze pan with water or vegetable broth if needed.
- Wash mushrooms and pat gently with clean towel to dry. Thinly slice button mushrooms using a food processor or slice by hand. Then roughly chop them. Slice the shiitake mushrooms into thin pieces after removing the stems.
- Use a spoon to remove dark gills from the underside of the portobello mushrooms. Slice portobellos into quarters and use a fork to shred.
- Add all mushrooms to the pan with onions and stir well. Turn heat up to medium high and cook down for 8-10 minutes, stirring several times.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, stir together all of the dry spices in a small bowl adding only 1/2 a tsp of salt at this time.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together broth, tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, tamari, and sriracha. Add dry spices to the wet ingredients and whisk well.
- Pour sauce into mushroom and onion mixture and let reduce for 35-45 minutes. After it has reduced, taste and add additional 1/2 tsp of salt if desired.
- Meanwhile, slice cabbage thinly and toss in lime juice and salt. Let sit while mushrooms are cooking.
- To assemble sandwiches, lightly toast buns. Spread mayo on bottom of bun, top with mushroom mixture, cabbage and pickles. Enjoy!