Savory mashed potato waffles: the brunch recipe you didn't know you needed! These crispy, fluffy, cheesy, savory waffles are vegan, gluten free and perfectly for loading up with your favorite toppings. Great for entertaining or a holiday brunch!
- 5 lb. peeled Yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 2/3 cup vegan butter
- 2–2 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 cup vegan cheddar cheese
Toppings (choose whatever you'd like):
- Vegan or regular cheese (cheddar, feta, mozzarella, etc)
- Hot sauce
- pickled red onion, jalapeño, etc. : broccoli, cherry tomatoes, cucumber,
- Herbs: scallions, chives, parsley, cilantro, etc.
- Eggs (if not vegan - fried, poached, etc)
- Bacon (regular or vegan alternative)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil (12 cups water) with 1 tbsp of kosher salt. Meanwhile, start pre-heating waffle iron.
- Add potatoes to boiling water and cook until fork tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and return to pot or a large bowl.
- Mash with butter, salt and pepper, then stir in cheese.
- Add mashed potatoes to waffle iron heated to medium and cook for about 10 minutes, until the exterior is golden brown and crispy. When the waffles are ready, carefully remove and let cool on a cooling rack.
Note that each waffle maker will be different. Our waffle maker is a large Belgian waffle maker and it took 10 minutes for each waffle to cook. A smaller waffle maker may only take 6-8 minutes. We suggest doing a test trial with one waffle to make sure you don't over or undercook the rest of the batch.
Optional: feel free to stir in 1/2 cup chopped chives to the waffle batter for extra flavor.
- Category: Brunch
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mashed potato waffles