This Vegan Lentil Sweet Potato Curry Soup is comforting, flavorful and perfect for a weeknight dinner! Even your non-vegetarian family and friends will go back for seconds.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 1/2 tbsp grated, fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 ½ cups dry French green lentils*
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 13.5 oz can full fat coconut milk
- 1 14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, chopped or torn
- For garnish: cilantro (optional)
- Heat a dutch oven over medium and add olive oil.
- Add onion and sauté for 5-7 minutes, stirring often, until translucent. Add garlic and ginger and sauté for a few more minutes. (Be careful not to let garlic burn.) Add tomato paste and stir well.
- Add curry powder, cinnamon and salt and stir to coat. Add remaining ingredients except for kale and stir.
- Increase heat, bring soup to a boil, then reduce to low and let simmer for 25-30 minutes, until sweet potatoes and lentils are tender.
- Add kale, stir well and let wilt for a minute or two. Serve with fresh cilantro (optional).
*If you're unable to find French green lentils, opt for regular green or brown lentils.
Keywords: curry lentil soup