These hearty vegan lentil meatballs get savory flavor from parmesan, Italian seasoning and crispy breadcrumbs. Serve them with your favorite pasta sauce and pasta or vegetable noodles.
- ¾ cup dry brown lentils, cooked according to package directions
- ⅓ cup dry short grain rice, cooked according to package directions
- ½ cup breadcrumbs (we used gluten free)
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup shredded vegan parmesan
- 3 tbsp flax meal
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning blend
- 1¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- Pasta sauce of choice
- Pasta or vegetable noodles of choice
- Shredded parmesan for topping
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350F. In a medium saucepan, cook the lentils (in vegetable broth or water) according to package directions. In a separate saucepan, cook the rice (in vegetable broth or water) according to package directions.
- Drain the cooked lentils of any excess water. Add the lentils and rice to a large mixing bowl, along with the breadcrumbs, oats, parmesan, flax meal, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, olive oil, tomato paste, red wine vinegar and carrots. Mix well with your hands until the mixture comes together when pressed. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- After resting, give everything one more mix. Using a tablespoon or cookie dough scoop, scoop the mixture into equal portions and roll them into evenly sized meatballs. Lay them on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown (check the bottom for browning first), rotating the sheet halfway through.
- Serve over pasta with spaghetti sauce. Top with cheese and fresh parsley if desired.