We transformed grandma's tried-and-true pie recipe into these vegan, gluten-free Four Berry Pie Bars. Because everything tastes better when you eat it with your hands!
- 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup vegan butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 3 tbsp creamy almond butter
- 2 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 cup raw, unsalted almonds
- 5 cups mixed berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, cherries)
- 1/2 cup peeled apple (grated or finely diced)
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 6 tbsp chia seeds
- Wash berries and pat dry with a clean towel to remove excess moisture.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring all ingredients except chia seeds to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often. Softly mash the mixture with the back of a wooden spoon to achieve a jam-like consistency.
- Remove from heat and stir in chia seeds. Let sit 30 minutes to cool and thicken.
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line an 8x8 inch pan with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, pulse all dry ingredients until a crumbly mixture forms. Add wet ingredients and continue to pulse until well incorporated. You may need to transfer to a large mixing bowl and knead lightly by hand before pressing into pan.
- Press 1/2-2/3 of mixture into pan. Spread berry mixture over top to form an even layer.
- Generously sprinkle remaining crumble over the top.
- Bake for 33-37 minutes, until golden brown on top.
- Let cool in pan at room temperature for several hours - until completely cooled. Carefully remove from pan and slice into bars.
It's important to let the bars cool completely so they have time to set. Otherwise, they're pretty messy - kind of like an actual slice of pie!
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 479
- Sugar: 27.9 g
- Sodium: 142.5 mg
- Fat: 24.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 12.1 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 61.2 g
- Fiber: 7.7 g
- Protein: 8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: four berry pie bars