With Halloween right around the corner, we’ve had candy on our mind. These homemade vegan and gluten free “Twix” bars are insanely delicious, and the perfect allergy-friendly recipe alternative to a classic candy bar!
- 3/4 cup coconut oil (softened at room temp, but not melted)
- 1/3 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 cups gluten free all-purpose flour
Vegan Caramel Layer:
- 1 cup coconut cream (the solid fat layer at the top of a can of full-fat coconut milk)
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 16–20 oz dark chocolate chips, melted
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Flaky sea salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a stand mixer, cream coconut oil, sugar, maple syrup, and vanilla at medium speed. (Alternatively, add to a large mixing bowl and use a hand mixer. Add in salt and flour in a few batches and continue mixing until dough comes together.
- Line a 10×10 pan (or similar sized pan) with parchment paper and press dough evenly into pan. Pierce dough with a fork in several places, then bake for 16-18 minutes. Remove from oven and cool (don’t remove from the pan!).
- Meanwhile, add all caramel ingredients to a small saucepan and whisk well. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. When caramel is finished, set aside and let cool.
- When shortbread is finished, spoon caramel over the top in an even layer. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, and then transfer to the freezer for a minimum of 40 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and transfer to a cutting board. Using a very sharp knife, slice into 1-inch rows. Then, slice into thirds to create evenly-sized bars. You should end up with 20-24.
- Add chocolate chips and coconut oil to a large bowl and melt in microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring well between each interval.
- Using two forks, dip bars in chocolate, then let drain to remove some excess chocolate. Set down on parchment paper. Optional: when the chocolate solidifies, feel free to drizzle with more chocolate and flaky salt.
- To speed things up, refrigerate the chocolate bars until solid. Alternatively, leave out at room temp until solid. Store in an airtight container in fridge, with parchment paper between each bar.
Keywords: homemade twix bars