The best tips for getting super crispy oven fries without cornstarch or anything added. Except, of course, luscious and creamy vegan aioli for dipping!
For the crispy oven fries:
- Four medium white potatoes (we used russet)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper
For the vegan aioli:
- 1 lb. package silken tofu
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 lemon, zested
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup packed fresh herbs, such as chives, basil, oregano, and/or thyme
- Slice potatoes lengthwise into fry shapes of equal thickness and width. Add to a large bowl and cover with cold water. Let the potatoes sit for at least half an hour and up to 4, changing the water a couple of times to keep it fresh. This allows the potatoes to release some of their starches and crisp up better.Preheat the oven to 450 F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Meanwhile, prepare the seasoning blend by combining the chili powder, garlic powder, chile flakes, dried basil and a large pinch of salt in a small bowl.
- After soaking, drain the potatoes and add them to a clean dish towel, or two. Press to dry as much as possible, and divide the fries between your prepared baking sheets. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Sprinkle the spicy seasoning blend on one tray of potatoes and toss well to combine. Sprinkle the other tray with Italian seasoning and a generous pinch of salt and toss well.
- Spread the fries out on each baking sheet, avoiding letting any of the fries touch. Once the oven is preheated, put your sheet pans in and roast for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove the sheet pans and flip each fry over to ensure even roasting. Return to the oven and roast for 7-10 minutes more. As soon as you remove them from the oven, sprinkle each sheet pan of fries with another pinch of salt and pepper. Allow to cool for a few minutes to finish crisping, and enjoy hot with aioli!
- To make the aioli, add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Crispy oven fries