Finally – a gluten free and vegan waffle recipe that has a crispy exterior and soft, fluffy interior! The two secrets: a homemade gluten free flour blend and aquafaba.
- Aquafaba drained from one 15 oz can of chickpeas
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 cup homemade gluten free flour blend
- 1/3 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 1/ cup dairy free milk
- 3 tbsp melted dairy free butter
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- Heat waffle maker to medium-high.
- Drain the liquid from a can of chickpeas into the bowl of your stand mixer (or a regular mixing bowl if you’re using a hand mixer). Save the chickpeas for making hummus, roasted chickpeas, or anything else you use chickpeas for!
- Add cream of tartar, then turn on mixer at medium-high and whip for 8-10 minutes, until aquafaba forms stiff peaks.
- Meanwhile, whisk together gluten free flour, oat flour, almond flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda and xanthan gum.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, butter and vanilla. Pour wet ingredients into dry and whisk until well incorporated. Gently fold in 3/4 cup whipped aquafaba with a spatula. The batter should be light and fluffy.
- Be sure not to overfill your waffle maker – add just enough to cover and cook for 5-7 minutes. If not eating right away, let cool on cooling rack to prevent them from getting soggy.