Creamy polenta with mushrooms: a comforting, easy (yet sophisticated!) vegan and gluten free dinner favorite.
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups polenta
- 1/4 cup vegan or regular butter
- 1/2 cup vegan or regular parmesan
- 20 oz sliced shiitake mushrooms (or a mix of wild mushrooms)
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, divided
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional garnishes: fresh parsley, parmesan, salt & pepper
- Bring water and salt to a boil. While whisking, slowly pour in polenta. Continue whisking for a minute to prevent any clumps from forming. Reduce heat to low and simmer for at least 30 minutes, stirring once every few minutes and scraping down the sides.
- Once the polenta is tender, stir in butter, cheese and more salt to taste (may not be necessary - taste before adding more salt).
- While the polenta is cooking, heat a skillet to medium-high. Add mushrooms and cook dry for a few minutes to release moisture. Some mushrooms have more moisture. If you're using shiitake mushrooms (like we did), you can skip this step and add the butter first.
- Once some of the moisture has evaporated, add butter and half of the wine. Let simmer. Add salt and continue cooking until the mushrooms start to get crispy. Add the remaining wine to deglaze the pan. Continue cooking until evaporated. Remove from heat and stir in fresh parsley and more salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon polenta into a bowl and top with mushrooms, more herbs, cheese and pepper. Enjoy hot.
To clean mushrooms, use a damp paper towel to gently remove dirt. Avoid submerging them completely in water, otherwise it will be much harder to make them crispy.
If you have leftover polenta, store in sealed container in the fridge. To reheat, heat over low on the stovetop and stir in more water until it reaches desired consistency.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: creamy polenta with mushrooms