You need this Classic Vegan Chocolate Cupcake recipe in your life. They’re easy, decadent and topped with a rich vanilla buttercream frosting swirl and shaved dark chocolate. Plus, they’re gluten free and have a *secret* healthy ingredient!
- 5 tbsp vegan butter, softened
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp cane sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups almond milk
- 1 1/2 cups + 2 tbsp gluten free all purpose flour blend*
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp beetroot powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/3 cup melted vegan chocolate chips
Vegan Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
- 1 cup vegan butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
- 2 tsp almond milk or dairy free creamer
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 335 F. Line a muffin/cupcake tin with liners.
- In a stand mixer or a mixing bowl + hand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until well incorporated.
- Add in applesauce, maple syrup, and vanilla and continue mixing at a medium-low speed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- Slowly incorporate about half of the dry mixture into the wet, then slowly stream in almond milk.
- Add remaining dry ingredients and melted chocolate. Beat until smooth and creamy.
- Let batter sit for 20 minutes, and then use a cookie scoop to evenly portion batter into cupcake liners.
- Bake for 26-28 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting.
- Make sure butter is completely softened. If you need to do this quickly, microwave in 7 second intervals until soft, but not melted.
- Cream butter in stand mixer or in a mixing bowl with hand mixer.
- When light and fluffy, slowly incorporate powdered sugar (about 1/2 cup at a time).
- When fully incorporated, add remaining ingredients and continue mixing until light and fluffy.
- To frost cupcakes, use a piping bag or simply use a knife or spatula.
- Optional: sprinkle frosting with chocolate shavings.