This vegan and gluten free blueberry baked oatmeal is the perfect make-ahead breakfast or brunch! It's easy to customize with various add-ins and makes for a great brunch for a crowd.
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup chopped nuts (we used pecans)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup nondairy milk (we used oat milk)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 flax eggs (1 tbsp flax meal + 2.5 tbsp of water per "egg")
- 1/4 cup melted vegan butter or coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups blueberries, divided
- 1/3 cup finely chopped nuts (we used pecans)
- 3 tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp melted vegan butter
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of fine kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Grease a 9 x 9 pan and line with parchment paper.
- Make flax egg by stirring together 2 tbsp flax meal and 5 tbsp water. Let sit for 15 minutes to thicken.
- Wash blueberries and pat dry with paper towel. Try to remove as much moisture as possible.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together oats, chopped nuts, coconut sugar, cinnamon, ginger and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, maple syrup, applesauce, flax eggs, butter, and vanilla.
- Add wet mixture to dry and stir well. Let sit for 15 minutes, stirring about every 5 minutes, then add in 1 cup of blueberries.
- Transfer to the baking pan and spread evenly. Top with remaining blueberries.
- Bake for 25 minutes. While baking, stir together all ingredients for topping. After 25 minutes, top evenly with nut/coconut mixture and return to the oven for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 20 minutes to set.
This baked oatmeal stores well in the refrigerator overnight. To reheat an individual slice, microwave in 20 second intervals until warmed through. To reheat the entire oatmeal bake, cover with foil and heat in a 350˚ oven for 10-15 minutes.
Freezing instructions: We suggest slicing the bake into squares and freezing individually. This way, you can reheat one slice at a time for a quick breakfast. To reheat, defrost in the refrigerator overnight, then microwave for 1 minute on high.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: blueberry oatmeal bake