It's never too early to start thinking about your Thanksgiving menu...these mini stuffed pumpkins make a great vegan/vegetarian main dish!
- 4 mini pumpkins
- 1 1/2 cups cooked wild rice
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 1/2 cups cremini mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 3/4 tsp dried basil
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp dried sage
- 3 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp + 1/8th tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup organic fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup homemade breadcrumbs (recipe below)
Homemade Gluten Free Breadcrumbs:
- 4 slices day old Canyon Gluten Free 7 Grain Bread
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds, chopped
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- To prep pumpkins, cut off the tops (but don't throw them away!), then scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Set aside.
- Cook wild rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a sauté pan. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, celery and garlic and continue to cook until softened. Add basil, oregano, sage, parsley, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Add vegetable broth and let reduce for a minute of two.
- Stir vegetable mixture into cooked wild rice, then stir in pecans, cranberries and 1/2 cup of the breadcrumbs.
- Stuff each pumpkin with about 1/2 to 2/3 cup of filling, packing it in with a spoon. Replace pumpkin top and bake for 40 minutes. Remove from oven, remove tops, sprinkle with remaining breadcrumbs and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Leave 4 slices of bread out for 24 hours at room temperature, turning after 12 hours. (If you forget this step, it's not a huge problem - simply proceed with the recipe.)
- Toast bread in toaster until golden brown. While bread is toasting, toast chopped almonds for 2-3 minutes in small frying pan over medium heat. Stir several times to prevent burning.
- Add bread and almond slices to food processor and pulse until you have breadcrumbs. Add spices herbs and olive oil and pulse to combine.
You should be able to find mini pumpkins in your local specialty store from about September-November, but if you can't, acorn squash works fine.
Keywords: vegan thanksgiving main dish