This wild rice soup is packed with vegetables, herbs and bright lemon juice for a super easy and flavorful soup. Thanks to the richness of wild rice, this is the perfect soup to enjoy on a cold winter or fall evening.
- 3/4 cup dry wild rice, cooked according to package directions
- 1/3 cup butter, divided (we used vegan)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, finely minced
- 1 1/2 cups celery, diced
- 1 1/2 cups carrot, diced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 3-4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dried herbs (we used a combination of thyme, oregano, parsley and basil)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups spinach or kale
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Cook wild rice according to package directions. Stir in 1 tbsp butter and 1/2 tsp salt. Set aside.
- Add remaining butter to a large soup pot over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, add the onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes. Add celery, carrots, salt, and pepper. Stir well and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Pour in vegetable broth, lemon juice, and dried herbs. Stir well and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add in cooked wild rice, spinach, and parsley. Stir well and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes. Taste and add more lemon juice or salt if desired.
Rice: any variety of wild rice or a wild rice blend works here. You can also sub with long grain brown rice.
Spinach: feel free to sub with another leafy green like kale or swiss chard.
Make it in a slow cooker: If using a slow cooker, there's no need to cook the rice ahead of time. Simply sauté the vegetables, then add all remaining ingredients except spinach and parsley and cook on low for 4-6 hours. Stir in the spinach and parsley just before serving.
Storage: store leftovers in an airtight container for up to a week. Reheat in the microwave or on stovetop.
Freezer: let the soup cool completely before transferring to a freezer safe container. You can freeze for up to 6 months. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight, then heat in a pot over low until fully warmed.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Bowl
- Calories: 223
- Sugar: 5.4 g
- Sodium: 1191.3 mg
- Fat: 12.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 25.2 g
- Fiber: 3.4 g
- Protein: 4.4 g
Keywords: wild rice soup