This creamy vegan wild rice mushroom soup is next-level cozy! It's the type of meal that feels indulgent, but it's packed with nutritious vegetables and doesn't contain any cream. Perfect for a healthy, comforting weeknight fall/winter meal!
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 yellow onion, diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tbsp garlic, finely minced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, sliced thinly
- 16 oz cremini mushrooms
- 4 oz shiitake mushrooms
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour (gluten free or regular)
- 1 1/2 tsp fine grain kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup wild rice blend (rinse well before adding)
- 6-7 cups vegetable broth (more for a thinner soup)
- 1/3 cup sherry*
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh thyme (or 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme)
- 2 bay leaves
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and sauté, stirring often, until mushrooms are softened and lightly browned (about 5-8 minutes). Add 2 tbsp or so of broth to deglaze the pot. Transfer mushrooms to a bowl and set aside.
- Add remaining 2 tbsp of oil to the pot along with onion and sauté for 5 minutes, until softened. Add garlic, carrots and celery and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper until the vegetables are well coated. Stir in rice, then add in broth, sherry, vinegar, parsley, thyme and bay leaves. Stir very well to break up any flour clumps.
- Bring soup to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, add in mushrooms and cover. Simmer for 40-45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the rice is fully cooked. It will still be a bit chewy. Enjoy!
*A good quality sherry makes all the difference. You can usually find one in the $8-10 range (whereas lower quality sherry only costs a few bucks). Don't have sherry? Substitute with a dry white wine.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Small Bowl
- Calories: 199
- Sugar: 6.5 g
- Sodium: 1169.5 mg
- Fat: 7.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 29.5 g
- Fiber: 3.6 g
- Protein: 6 g
Keywords: wild rice mushroom soup