This simple white bean tomato stew is one of my favorite comforting vegan dinner recipes. Simply pair with warm bread, fresh herbs and feta!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 6 large cloves garlic, finely minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp coconut sugar (or regular sugar)
- 3 bay leaves
- 3/4-1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2-3/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 15 oz. cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Toppings: vegan feta or parmesan cheese, fresh herbs, bread for serving
- Heat a large sauté pan to medium and add oil. Once heated, add onion and sauté for 6-8 minutes. Add garlic and continue cooking, stirring often, for 2-3 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, red wine vinegar, coconut sugar, bay leaves, 3/4 tsp of salt, ground pepper, 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes, and fresh thyme to the pan. Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Add parsley, basil, and beans and continue simmering for an additional 15 minutes. Taste and add additional 1/4 tsp of salt and red pepper flakes if desired. Stir and let cook for 5 more minutes.
- Remove bay leaves and thyme sprigs before serving. When you are ready to serve, top with vegan feta or parmesan cheese and chopped herbs. Serve with warmed, crusty bread of choice.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: white bean stew