This comforting, vegan White Bean Kale Soup is one of our all-time favorite soup recipes. It has plenty of fresh lemon for brightness, a kick from red pepper flakes and potatoes for a little heartiness. It's even better as leftovers the next day!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 diced yellow onion (~1 1/2 cups)
- 3 cloves minced garlic (~1 tbsp)
- 1 1/2 cup diced Yukon gold or yellow potatoes
- 1 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp dried parsley (or 1/4 cup fresh)
- 1 1/2 tsp dried Italian seasoning blend
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 6 cups lacinato kale, roughly chopped
- 2 14 oz. cans white beans*, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp lemon juice + more to taste
- Heat oil in large stock pot.
- Add onion and cook for 5-6 minutes, until softened. Add garlic, carrot and potatoes - stir and continue cooking 5 minutes, until carrots are slightly softened.
- Add all spices/seasonings, stir well, then add broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, until potatoes are fork tender. Add in kale, cannellini beans and lemon juice and cook until kale is wilted (about 10 minutes). Taste and adjust salt + lemon as needed.
*White beans: We used cannellini beans, but you can substitute for great northern beans, navy beans, or even kidney beans. They all have a similar taste and texture.
Storage: let the soup cool before transferring to any container, and store in the fridge for 3-5 days or freeze (making sure to leave space at the top for expansion!) and enjoy within a few months.
Italian seasoning: this dried herb blend makes it easy to add flavor to this white bean kale soup without having to open and measure several different dried herbs. If you don't have any of the blend, you can also use 1 tsp total of a mixture of dried basil, parsley and oregano instead.
Kale: We used lacinato kale (aka dinosaur or Tuscan kale). Regular leafy green kale would work well too, but we prefer the texture of lacinato in this recipe. You can also sub with another leafy green like collards or swiss chard.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Bowl
- Calories: 269
- Sugar: 5.9 g
- Sodium: 1032 mg
- Fat: 5.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 46 g
- Fiber: 9.4 g
- Protein: 11.9 g
Keywords: white bean and kale soup