We took the ingredients of a classic waldorf salad and gave them a more modern, healthy, vegan twist. This hearty fall and winter salad is perfect for Thanksgiving, Christmas and any other holiday entertaining occasion! We're pretty sure your family will appreciate the contemporary update.
- 1 large head of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup seedless red grapes, halved
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 large apple, diced*
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- Walnut pumpkin seed brittle (recipe below)
Walnut Pumpkin Seed Brittle:
- 1/2 cup raw, unsalted walnut pieces
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil (or walnut oil)
- 1/3 cup plain vegan yogurt
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 ¼ tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 275˚F.
- Add walnuts and pumpkin seeds to a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, stir together maple syrup, olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper. Pour over nuts and toss well to coat. Spread out on a small parchment lined baking sheet. Bake on the lowest rack of the oven for about 35 minutes, rotating the sheet halfway through baking. Remove from the oven and let cool completely. Once cooled, break apart into bite sized pieces.
- While the brittle is cooling, whisk together dressing ingredients and prepare salad ingredients.
- Toss together all salad ingredients. Add dressing just before serving and toss well to coat. Top with brittle.
*We prefer a sweet, tart apple like honeycrisp or granny smith.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan waldorf salad