With only 6 ingredients, this easy Vegan Vanilla Pudding comes together in one pot and a blender. It's a sweet, creamy and versatile dairy free dessert that tastes great on its own or in parfaits, trifles, pies and more.
- 2 cups nondairy milk (we used oat milk)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in warm water for 2 hours
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3-4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Soak cashews in warm or room temperature water for 1-2 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Add cashews, milk, sugar, cornstarch, 3 teaspoons of vanilla extract, and the salt to a blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan over medium high heat. Bring to a boil, whisking frequently.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until it thickens, about 15 minutes, whisking frequently so it doesn't stick or form clumps.
- Remove from heat and let cool at room temperature, then cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Cornstarch: You can substitute with arrowroot starch.
Sugar: You can use a liquid sweetener (like maple syrup or agave), but the color of the pudding will be much darker.
Stir constantly: While the pudding is cooking on the stove, be sure to whisk frequently to prevent burning/clumping.
The pudding will thicken more as it cools, so don't be too concerned if it doesn't look thick enough when it comes off the stove.
Storage: Transfer to an airtight container and place in the fridge. It should keep for about 3-5 days.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It may vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.
- Prep Time: 60 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 251
- Sugar: 19.4 g
- Sodium: 101.5 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Carbohydrates: 31.5 g
- Fiber: 1.6 g
- Protein: 5.3 g
Keywords: vegan vanilla pudding