This Vegan Tortellini Soup is a hearty, delicious soup that's packed with vegetables, cheesy tortellini, plant-based sausage and lots of flavor! Plus, it's ready in about 45 minutes for a great weeknight dinner.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced (~1 cup)
- 14 ounces spicy Italian plant-based sausage (we used this)
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced (~2 teaspoons)
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning blend
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 9 ounces (1 package) vegan cheese tortellini
- 3 cups spinach
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup vegan cream or milk (we used oat milk)
- Add the oil to a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion and plant-based sausage and sauté until the sausage is browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add in garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Stir in carrots, celery, tomato paste, Italian seasoning blend, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and pepper and sauté for 5 minutes, until the vegetables start to soften.
- Stir in the flour and let it cook for 30 seconds. Stir in 2 cups of vegetable broth, turn heat to high and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the broth starts to thicken.
- Add in the remaining broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add in the tortellini, spinach, parsley and cream. Cook for another 10-15 minutes, until tortellini is al dente. Serve right away.*
*If not serving immediately (or making for meal prep), cook and store the tortellini in a separate container, otherwise it will get soggy and soak up too much liquid.
Sensitive to spice? Use sweet Italian sausage instead of spicy.
Spinach: You can also use kale, swiss chard or another leafy green.
Storage: Let the soup cool to room temperature, then transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in a small saucepan over medium heat.
Freezer storage: Freeze for 3-6 months. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator, then reheat on the stove. If specifically making this soup to freeze, leave out the tortellini and cook just before serving.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It may vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 301
- Sugar: 5.3 g
- Sodium: 788.5 mg
- Fat: 13.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 29.7 g
- Fiber: 2.9 g
- Protein: 16.6 g
Keywords: vegan tortellini soup