Our creamy vegan tomato soup gets its texture and its rich flavor from roasted tomatoes, onions and garlic. This is perfect lunch for a rainy summer day. Best of all, it only takes a sheet pan, a blender, and a pot.
- 4 lbs. roma tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced thinly
- 3-4 large garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup nondairy creamer
- 3/4 to 1 cup water or low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped and divided
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped and divided
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped and divided
- 1/4 cup of chopped, oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp red miso
- 1 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp brown sugar or coconut sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375˚F / 190˚C.
- Cut tomatoes in half and place them seed side up on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Cut the ends off of the garlic cloves, leaving skins on, and lay them on a small piece of aluminum foil. Brush the garlic with a touch of olive oil and sprinkle with some salt and pepper and wrap in foil.
- Roughly chop onion and place in the corner of the baking sheet. Everything's going into the blender, so you don't have to chop the onion finely.
- Use a basting brush to coat the tomatoes and onions with olive oil or give them a healthy drizzle. Sprinkle tomatoes and onions with salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Sprinkle half of the chopped herbs over the tomatoes. Roast for 25 minutes, stirring the onions once or twice during roasting.
- After roasting, open foil to let garlic cool for a few minutes, and then pop garlic out of skins.
- Add the roasted tomatoes, onion, and garlic to a high-speed blender, making sure to pour all of the juices on the roasting pan into the blender. Add the creamer, the other half of the herbs, sun dried tomatoes, red wine vinegar, red miso, tomato paste, and brown/coconut sugar and ¾ - 1 cup of water and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into a large soup pot and let simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring a few times, until warmed. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if desired.
Serving suggestions: This soup is a match made in heaven with grilled cheese.
Be sure to add the drippings from the tomatoes and onions to the blender. Extra flavor!
Dried herbs have a much more intense flavor than fresh herbs, so if you have to use dried herbs, cut the listed quantities in half.
Store in an airtight container and enjoy within 2-3 days. You can also freeze and enjoy within a few months.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: creamy vegan tomato soup