Did someone say #TacoTuesday?! This Vegan Taco "Meat" substitute is made with cauliflower, quinoa and a spicy chipotle sauce. Perfect for vegetarian tacos, burrito bowls, nachos and more!
- 1 tbsp oil (vegetable, olive oil, avocado oil, etc)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 tsp finely minced garlic
- 1 small head of cauliflower, riced (2 1/2- 3 cups)
- 8 oz button mushrooms, finely diced
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (1/2 cup dry)
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp fine grain kosher salt
- 2-3 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tbsp oil (we used avocado but olive oil or vegetable oil work)
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp adobo sauce from can
- 1 1/2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 1/2 tsp coconut sugar or agave
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp fine grain kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Cook quinoa according to package directions.
- Rice cauliflower by pulsing in a food processor until it resembles grains of rice. Alternatively, you can use a grater to grate the cauliflower.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 6-8 minutes. Add garlic and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until softened (5-7 minutes).
- Meanwhile, add all sauce ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add cauliflower rice, oregano and salt to skillet and continue cooking for 5 minutes, until cauliflower starts to soften.
- Add in cooked quinoa and chipotle sauce and stir well. Continue cooking for 5-7 minutes, then add in fresh cilantro and cook a few more minutes.
- Serve hot in tacos, burrito bowls, salads, etc.
If you have leftover cauliflower, simply freeze to use in another dish at another time. You can also use pre-riced store-bought cauliflower. If using frozen, defrost and pat dry before adding to pan.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican-American
- Serving Size: 1 Taco
- Calories: 255
- Sugar: 5.7 g
- Sodium: 630.2 mg
- Fat: 11.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.9 g
- Fiber: 5.9 g
- Protein: 8.3 g
Keywords: vegan taco meat