This vegan stuffed mushroom recipe is satisfying, healthy and packed with fall flavors.
- 8 large portobello mushrooms*
- 1½ cups cooked rice (approx ¾ cup uncooked)
- 6 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup yellow onion, minced
- 3 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp dried thyme, chopped or crushed
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ cup fresh chopped parsley
- ¼ cup unsweetened dried cranberries
- ¾ - 1 cup low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ¾ cup gluten free Italian breadcrumbs
- ⅓ cup + 2 tbsp toasted walnuts, divided
- ½ cup shredded vegan parmesan
- ¼ - ⅓ cup pomegranate seeds
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Clean the mushrooms, remove stems, and use a spoon to gently scrape out the gills to make room for stuffing. Lay the mushrooms on paper towels and gently pat dry.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat with the butter. Once the butter melts, add the celery, onion, garlic, sage, thyme, salt, and pepper. Cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring several times to avoid burning. Lower heat to medium-low and add parsley, cranberries, stock, and balsamic vinegar. Cook for 4-5 minutes, until cranberries begin to soften.
- Add the breadcrumbs, cooked rice, and ⅓ cup walnuts. Stir to combine well. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring several times.
- Meanwhile, brush each side of the mushrooms with olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Place on wire rack and put the rack on baking sheet. Roast for 4 minutes on each side. Finley dice the remaining 2 tbsp toasted walnuts.
- Remove the mushrooms from the oven. Fill with stuffing and top with parmesan and chopped walnuts. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Top with pomegranate seeds and bake for 8-10 minutes more.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: stuffed portobello mushrooms