This vegan stuffed acorn squash is filled with a wild rice, cranberry, apple, mushroom & kale filling. It's a flavorful, gorgeous holiday side dish, or even a lighter vegan main dish. It's also naturally gluten free and nut free.
- 3 acorn squash, halved and seeds removed
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black or wild rice (about 1/2 cup dry)
- 4 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup diced shallot or yellow onion
- 2 tsp finely minced garlic
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups chopped spinach or baby kale
- 2/3 cup apple, diced finely
- 1/3 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3 tbsp pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1 tbsp fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp fine kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Pomegranate arils for topping
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Slice each squash in half lengthwise and use a spoon to scrape out the seeds. Brush each half with olive oil (about 2 tbsp total between all 6 halves) and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set face down on a baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes, until fork tender.
- Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions.
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to a large sauté pan over medium heat. Sauté shallots for 4-5 minutes, then add garlic and celery and cook for an additional few minutes. Add mushrooms and spinach.
- Once mushrooms are cooked down, add cooked rice, apples, cranberries, pumpkin seeds, sage, thyme, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Stir well and cook for 4-5 minutes, until apples and cranberries soften. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Reduce oven heat to 350˚F. Remove the squash and carefully flip over. Fill each squash cavity with rice mixture. Return to oven for additional 10-15 minutes. Serve warm.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/2 Squash
- Calories: 347
- Sugar: 13.9 g
- Sodium: 223 mg
- Fat: 12.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 55.3 g
- Fiber: 6.6 g
- Protein: 9.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan stuffed acorn squash