This Vegan Southwest Breakfast Skillet is made with spiced potatoes, black beans, onions, red pepper and topped with avocado and fresh cilantro. Such a flavorful, delicious brunch recipe!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 of a jalapeño, minced
- 3 cups diced, peeled red potatoes
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 of a lime
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- For garnish: more cilantro, avocado, jalapeño, vegan cheese, salsa, etc.
- Fill a pot with water and add 2 tsp of salt. Bring to a boil, then add diced potatoes and cook for 6-8 minutes, until mostly fork tender but not cooked all the way through. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat skillet over medium heat and add oil. Sauté onion for 5-7 minutes. Add jalapeño and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add potatoes to the pan with 1 tsp salt, chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin, stir well, and sauté for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add red pepper to the pan with lime juice and cilantro. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add black beans and remaining 1/2 tsp of salt. Gently stir in beans. Continue cooking for 5 minutes. Serve topped with avocado, vegan cheese and fresh cilantro.
When it comes to the type of potato, we found that red potatoes (also referred to as new potatoes) and/or fingerling potatoes worked really well. They didn't fall apart in the pan, but they ended up with a super tender, buttery interior.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Tex Mex
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 557
- Sugar: 11.5 g
- Sodium: 2691.4 mg
- Fat: 15.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.4 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 91 g
- Fiber: 23.3 g
- Protein: 19.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan breakfast skillet