These creamy, comforting vegan scalloped potatoes are a classic holiday recipe in our family. With a buttery, garlicky, creamy sauce, tender potatoes and a crispy, cheesy breadcrumb topping, I can't think of a better side dish!
- 2-2 1/2 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes, sliced thinly (look for smaller, evenly-sized potatoes)
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1 1/2 cup diced yellow onion (1 onion)
- 1 ½ tbsp finely minced garlic
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour (use gluten free if needed)
- 2 1/2 cups nondairy milk*
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp fine grain kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (panko or regular)
- 1 tbsp melted vegan butter
- Optional: 1/2 cup shredded vegan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Using a mandoline or a very sharp knife, carefully slice the potatoes as thinly as possible (about 1/8 inch thick). If the potato is very large, slice in half lengthwise. Prep all potatoes and set aside.
- Heat a saucepan to medium and add butter. Once melted, add onion and sauté for 5 minutes, until softened. Add garlic and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes. Whisk in flour, then slowly add milk, whisking well to eliminate any flour clumps. Once thickened, whisk in mustard, salt, pepper, and parsley.
- Cover the bottom of a casserole or baking dish with a thin layer of sauce (just enough to cover the bottom). Arrange potatoes so that they're slightly overlapped. Once you have an entire layer of potatoes, cover in sauce. Repeat until you have 5 layers of potatoes (with sauce in between each layer). Finish with a remaining layer of sauce.
- Bake on the bottom rack of your oven for 45 minutes.
- Stir together breadcrumbs and melted butter. After 45 minutes, remove from oven, top with breadcrumbs (and cheese if using) and bake for another 10-15 minutes, until potatoes are tender and topping is golden brown.
*Make sure you choose an unsweetened, unflavored nondairy milk. We prefer oat or cashew milk in this recipe.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: vegan scalloped potatoes