This classic creamy Vegan Risotto is made with just 10 basic ingredients and comes together in just over 30 minutes. It's easy to make and makes for a delicious and versatile side dish for just about any meal.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced (~1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 5-6 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup nondairy parmesan or 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoon vegan butter
- Add vegetable broth to a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add olive oil to a separate large pot over medium heat. Once heated, add onion and sauté for 5-7 minutes, stirring often, until translucent.
- Add the rice, salt and pepper and stir well, letting the rice toast for about 60 seconds. Add the wine and cook until mostly evaporated, stirring often.
- Reduce heat to low. Start adding a ladleful of heated broth one at a time, stirring well. Wait to add the next ladleful until the first has absorbed. You'll need to keep a close eye on the risotto – if it absorbs too quickly or if the heat is too high, it will stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Continue adding broth until the rice is al dente and creamy, about 20-25 minutes total.
- Stir in the vegan parmesan or nutritional yeast, fresh parsley and vegan butter and serve warm.
Pay close attention to your risotto to prevent burning. It only takes about 20 minutes for the rice to reach a perfect al dente texture. Stir every 30-60 seconds for perfect consistency.
Don't use cold broth. It's essential to keep the broth warm (just below a simmer) while cooking the risotto. If it's too cold, it will take too long to absorb into the rice.
Storage: This vegan risotto is best eaten fresh, but you can store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Reheat instructions: To reheat, add to a pan over medium-low heat and add an additional ¼ cup of vegetable broth per cup of risotto. Stir well and gently heat until warmed through and creamy.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Vegan Side Dishes
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 312
- Sugar: 4.2 g
- Sodium: 983.6 mg
- Fat: 17.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 31.4 g
- Fiber: 0.8 g
- Protein: 5.2 g
Keywords: vegan risotto