This gorgeous Vegan Ricotta and Asparagus Tart has a gluten free cornmeal crust. It's a great vegan/vegetarian spring appetizer and the perfect way to use up all of the asparagus you bought this week!
- 1 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 3 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, cold
- 8-9 tbsp cold water
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup shredded vegan parmesan-style cheese
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp fine kosher salt
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in room temp water for 2-3 hours or hot water for 1 hour
- 1 cup macadamia nuts
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh dill
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends removed
- For topping: lemon zest and pea shoots
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- To make filling, add all ingredients except water to a food processor and pulse to combine. Pulse until mixture starts to come together, then add water one tablespoon at a time until mixture doesn't crumble when you press between two fingers.
- Press dough into a 9" square tart pan, then chill in refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.
- Bake crust for 12-14 minutes, until it starts to turn golden brown around the edges. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add asparagus and blanch for 3 minutes, then transfer to a bowl filled with ice and cold water for 30 seconds. Remove asparagus and pat dry.
- To make ricotta filling, combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until well combined. The final texture does not have to be perfectly smooth - just make sure herbs are well incorporated.
- Pour filling on top of crust and spread evenly. Top with asparagus, drizzle with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper and bake for 17-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool before removing from pan and serving. Top with lemon zest and pea shoots.
If you don't have time/don't want to make homemade vegan ricotta, there are great store-bought alternatives available at most specialty stores.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan asparagus tart