This creamy, delicious vegan rice pudding is packed with flavor and easy to make. With warming cinnamon and rich coconut milk, it's fantastic topped with fruit and nuts as a nourishing breakfast or even a light dessert.
- 1 cup long grain white rice, rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can full fat coconut milk
- 1 15 ounce can lite coconut milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons chopped macadamia nuts (optional)
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut (optional)
- 1/3 cup chopped dried fruit of choice (cherries, mango, pineapple, raisins, apricots, etc) (optional)
- Add the coconut milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg to a large pot over medium heat and whisk until combined.
- Stir in rinsed rice, then bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook for 40-45 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- In a small bowl, stir together the macadamia nuts, coconut and dried fruit. Serve rice pudding warm or cold with nut/fruit mixture plus any other desired toppings.
Rinse the rice: Rinsing the rice thoroughly helps to remove starch from the surface of the rice grains, which will help to prevent the rice from becoming too gummy. This helps us achieve a silky texture instead of a congealed block of rice. You'll know you're done rinsing the rice when the water that passes over the rice starts to run clear.
Rice: Basmati or jasmine rice both work well in this recipe.
Coconut milk: We use both full fat and "lite" coconut milk in this recipe for an end result that's thick and creamy, but not too rich. You can sub the lite coconut milk with another nondairy milk of choice, but we wouldn't recommend subbing the full fat coconut milk, as this is what adds most of the creaminess and flavor.
Stir often: stirring the rice frequently as it cooks will prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pot. Some sticking is inevitable, but stirring really helps.
Storage: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator and consume within 3 to 4 days.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 277
- Sugar: 16.5 g
- Sodium: 302.5 mg
- Fat: 2.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 56.6 g
- Fiber: 0.9 g
- Protein: 4.6 g
Keywords: vegan rice pudding, creamy vegan rice pudding