Vegan rice noodles with crispy pan-fried tofu, shiitake mushrooms, edamame and a spicy, umami sesame glaze. Such a flavorful one-pan dinner!
- 1 12 oz container firm tofu, pressed to remove moisture and cubed
- 8 oz brown rice noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 2 cups thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions, plus more for topping
- 1 cup frozen, shelled edamame
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds, plus more for topping
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro, plus more for topping
- 1/3 cup sesame oil
- 1/4 cup low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp Ume plum vinegar (optional - can sub with more rice vinegar)
- 1 ½ tbsp white miso
- 1 tbsp finely minced garlic
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp grated, fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Remove tofu from packaging, drain excess liquid and pat dry. Wrap in a clean dish towel or a few sheets of paper towel and set something heavy (like a skillet or a few cookbooks) on top. Let set for about 30 minutes (the longer, the better), then slice into evenly-sized cubes.
- Whisk together all ingredients for marinade/sauce until well combined.
- Pour 3 tbsp of marinade liquid over the tofu and reserve the rest for later. Toss lightly to evenly coat tofu, then let marinade for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat fry pan to medium. If desired, coat with a thin layer of oil, then add tofu. Cook for a few minutes on each side, stirring often and monitoring heat to prevent burning. Once the tofu is browned and slightly crispy, transfer to plate and set aside.
- In the same pan, pour in remaining sauce/marinade, along with scallions. Bring to a simmer and cook for 3 minutes. Add sliced mushrooms, stir well to coat, and continue cooking for 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook rice noodles according to package directions.
- Add edamame, sesame seeds, cilantro and cooked noodles to skillet, stirring or tossing to coat evenly. Add in cooked tofu. Serve topped with more fresh herbs, sesame seeds and red pepper flakes.
Rice noodles cook very quickly and tend to get sticky if overcooked. Pay close attention to the package directions and don't cook them until just before adding to the pan with the other ingredients.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 564
- Sugar: 6.6 g
- Sodium: 430.5 mg
- Fat: 28.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.6 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 59.8 g
- Fiber: 5.2 g
- Protein: 16.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan rice noodle recipes