These homemade vegan peanut butter rice krispie treats are just in time for Halloween. Topped with salted caramel and gluten free pretzels, they're the perfect recipe for kids in the kitchen.
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 bag of vegan mini marshmallows or large marshmallows, quartered
- 3 cups Rice Krispies
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp vegan caramel sauce (store-bought or homemade)
- 1/4 cup gluten free mini pretzels
- 1 1/2 tbsp chopped peanuts
- Candy eyeballs
- Flaky sea salt
- Line a 9x9 inch baking dish with parchment. In a large nonstick pot, melt butter and peanut butter over low heat. Once melted, add vanilla and salt and stir well. Add marshmallows and melt slowly over low heat, stirring. Vegan marshmallows need to really break down since they have a tougher outside. Once fully melted, turn off the heat.
- Pour in the Rice Krispies and quickly stir in with a spatula until well combined. If it needs more mixing , transfer the mixture to a large bowl and use your hands to finish.
- Press the mixture evenly into the prepared dish. Let it cool at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Once hardened, remove the krispies from pan using the parchment paper to lift. Top with melted chocolate, drizzle lightly with caramel sauce and top with pretzels, peanuts, candy eyeballs and a pinch of flaky salt. Refrigerate until chocolate layer is hardened.
- Slice the rice krispies into squares and serve.
Note: you'll need to really stir to incorporate the rice krispies into the marshmallow mixture. Vegan marshmallows do not always melt as well as regular marshmallows, so be prepared. If you're having a hard time mixing them with a spoon. Let cool slightly and do it with your hands.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Halloween
Keywords: halloween rice krispie treats