This vegan ramp pesto is the perfect way to use up fresh ramps. Ramps are only in season for a few weeks during spring, so we’re using them as much as we can! Spread this pesto on toast, stir into your pasta, drizzle on a pizza, or use as a dip for crackers.
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup basil
- 2 bunches ramps (1 1/2 cups ramp greens and 3 tbsp diced bulbs)
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/3 cup vegan parmesan-style cheese
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1–1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Bring a medium-sized pot of water to a boil. Set aside a bowl of ice water.
- Wash ramps well and trim ends off bulbs. Trim bulbs up to where the leaves start. Roughly chop bulbs and set aside.
- Add greens to boiling water and blanch for 30 seconds. Using tongs or a slotted spoon, remove greens from boiling water and submerge in ice water to stop cooking process.
- Remove from ice water and drain.
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.