Sick of pumpkin pie? Try something new this year with this vegan purple sweet potato pie with a buttery, gluten free gingersnap crust! It’s just as delicious as it is beautiful.
- 2 cups gluten free gingersnap cookies (plus more for topping)
- 1/3 cup raw pecans
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp vegan butter, melted
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups purple sweet potatoes, steamed and mashed (about 2 potatoes)
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1/2 tsp orange zest
- 2 tbsp dairy free creamer
- 1/3 cup coconut cream (fat layer from a can of full fat coconut milk or cream)
- 1/3 cup regular sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice blend
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1 cup dairy free whipped cream
- Add gingersnap cookies, pecans, and cinnamon to a food processor and pulse until crumbly. Add melted butter and vanilla and pulse until crust comes together. Scrape down the sides once or twice to make sure it’s well incorporated.
- Press into a 9-inch pie pan or a fluted tart pan with a removable bottom.
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F.
- Peel potatoes and roughly chop. Steam until fork tender. Let cool for a few minutes.
- Run the steamed sweet potatoes through a ricer for a fluffy, creamy filling. This is an optional step, but suggested.
- Add all filling ingredients to a high speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour filling into crust and smooth with a spatula. Bake for 30-35 minutes. If crust begins to darken too much, cover the edges with foil for the last 5-10 minutes of baking.
- The center may not look like it’s done, but it is. It’s critical to let the pie cool COMPLETELY before cutting – at least 3 hours. After about an hour of cooling, you can transfer the pie to the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Before serving, top pie with vegan whipped cream and additional cookie crumbles. Enjoy! Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.
You can substitute gingersnaps for gluten free or regular graham crackers if desired.
Keywords: purple sweet potato pie