This creamy vegan pumpkin soup pairs pumpkin with other fall flavors like maple, nutmeg, and cinnamon. It makes for a delicious appetizer for Thanksgiving or a weeknight fall dinner. It's also easy to make in under an hour!
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely minced
- 2 cups diced and peeled yellow potatoes
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 15 oz cans of pumpkin puree
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 cup (5.3 oz container) plain nondairy yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- Heat olive oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 5 minutes. Add in ginger and garlic and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes. Add in potatoes and celery and cook for 5-7 minutes, until potatoes start to soften.
- Stir in salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cayenne until vegetables are well coated.
- Pour in broth, pumpkin puree, maple syrup, and apple cider vinegar, stir well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 25 minutes.
- Carefully transfer soup to a heat safe blender, add in yogurt and purée until smooth. Return soup to the pot and stir in the fresh thyme.
- Serve with yogurt swirl, pumpkin seeds and fresh thyme.
Immersion blender vs. regular blender: A regular blender will result in the smoothest, creamiest soup. That said, an immersion blender tends to be an easier option – It saves you from creating an extra dirty dish to wash, and you don't have to transfer the soup to another container to blend. If using a regular blender, just make sure to be careful and let the soup cool a bit, as the steam from hot soup can create pressure in an airtight blender.
Serving suggestions: Vegan yogurt, pepitas (pumpkin seeds) and fresh thyme are all great toppings for this soup. It's also great with croutons, or just some crusty bread for dipping.
Storage: This vegan pumpkin soup is great to make ahead of time. Just store in an airtight container in the fridge and enjoy within a week.
Freezer storage: you can also freeze this soup for up to 6 months. When ready to enjoy, transfer to the fridge to defrost overnight, then heat gently on stovetop until warmed through.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Bowl
- Calories: 218
- Sugar: 14.6 g
- Sodium: 762.5 mg
- Fat: 9.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.4 g
- Fiber: 5.2 g
- Protein: 6.1 g
Keywords: vegan pumpkin soup