This easy one-pot vegan pumpkin chili is packed with warming spices, plenty of vegetables and plant-based protein from pinto and kidney beans. Such a delicious weeknight dinner and ready in about 40 minutes!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 4 cups fresh pumpkin*, peeled and cubed into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15oz can diced fire roasted tomatoes with green chilie
- 1 15 oz can pinto beans (low sodium), drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can red kidney beans (low sodium), drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp sauce from a can of chipotles in adobo sauce (optional)
- 3 cups chopped kale
- Toppings: vegan sour cream, vegan cheddar cheese, toasted pumpkin seeds, avocado, tortilla strips, cilantro, etc
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 5-6 minutes, then add garlic and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in pumpkin, tomato paste, chili powder, oregano, cumin, cinnamon, salt and smoked paprika. Cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring well. Add in kidney and pinto beans, broth, fire roasted tomatoes, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar and adobo sauce.
- Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add in kale and cook for additional 10 minutes.
- Serve topped with vegan sour cream, vegan cheese, cilantro, avocado, or any other desired toppings!
*You can use pretty much any variety of pumpkin (or even squash like butternut, acorn or kabocha).
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan pumpkin chili