Easy, filling and comforting this vegan pot pie recipe is the vegetable-packed weeknight dinner you need.
- Store bought pie crust mix* (we used this gluten free one)
- 1–2 tbsp melted vegan butter
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ cup carrots, diced (about 2 carrots)
- ¾ cup sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (1 small potato)
- ¾ cup celery, chopped (about 3 stalks)
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen french green beans, cut into ½ inch pieces
- ½ cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1½ tbsp Italian herb seasoning
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 2 cups chopped lacinato kale or spinach
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped or 4 tsp dried parsley
- 1 15oz can white beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- ¼ cup flour (we used gluten free all purpose)
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- ½ tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Prepare crust as instructed on the packaging and roll out for topping. We used a store bought crust, but feel free to make your own.
- Melt the 3 tbsp butter in a large pan. Add the onions and garlic and stir a few times, cooking for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the carrots, sweet potatoes, celery, mushrooms, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper and stir well. Cook until softened, about 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Melt ¼ cup butter in a medium saucepan. Once melted, add the flour and stir well. Slowly add the vegetable broth, letting it thicken before adding more, stirring. Once you’ve added all of the vegetable stock, whisk in the white wine, vinegar, salt, and some pepper. Stir well.
- Once the vegetables are softened, add the green beans, peas, chopped kale or spinach and parsley to the pan. Stir and cook for 5-6 minutes. Pour the sauce into the pan with the vegetables and stir to coat all of the veggies. Gently stir in the white beans. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Pour the mixture into a pie pan and lay the crust on top. Crimp the edges of the crust to seal it and prick with a fork a few times or cut a couple of slits in the top to release steam.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and brush with remaining 1-2 tbsp melted butter. Return the pot pie to the oven and bake until lightly brown, about 10-15 minutes more.
*If you’d prefer to make pie crust from scratch, try this recipe.
Be sure to carefully crimp the edges of the pie – if it’s not fully sealed, the pie will probably leak in the oven. It’s also helpful to put a baking tray underneath the rack with the pie to catch anything that might drip. Much easier cleanup than having to clean the entire oven!
Keywords: vegan pot pie