Who doesn’t love a comforting, hearty bowl of chili? This vegan chili recipe is packed with pinto beans, poblano peppers, potatoes and plenty of warming spices.
- 2 tbsp neutral oil
- 1 yellow onion (1 1/2 cups), diced
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium poblano peppers, roasted
- 1 1/2 cups celery
- 5 cups sliced, mixed mushrooms (we used shiitake and baby portobello)
- 2 cups diced red potatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 ½ tbsp low sodium Tamari or soy sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp unsweetened cacao powder
- 1 tbsp ancho pepper powder (or chili powder)
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp dried Mexican oregano
- 1 ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Lightly oil and salt poblano peppers and place on a sheet pan. Roast for 12-14 minutes, turning over halfway through cooking. Remove from the oven and set on a cutting board. Let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Grab a fork to hold the pepper in place and use a paring knife to gently pull the skin away from the poblano (or use your hands if it’s cool enough). Slice in half lengthwise and use a spoon to remove seeds and inner membrane. Dice peppers and set aside.
- Preheat a dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat with 2 tbsp of oil. Add onion and sauté for 5-6 minutes.
- Add crushed garlic, chopped poblano pepper, and celery. Stir well and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, stir and let cook for 7-8 minutes until they start to reduce.
- Add potatoes, broth, tomato paste, white wine vinegar, maple syrup, tamari, cacao, ancho chili powder, salt, oregano, smoked paprika, cinnamon, and cumin. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in pinto beans and cilantro and simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes. Check potatoes to make sure they are fork tender.
- Top with cheese, sour cream, avocado, chopped green onions, and corn or tortilla chips.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: vegan pinto bean chili