Cozy up with a warm mug of Vegan Peppermint Mocha this holiday season! This drink is perfect for the holidays, with balanced notes of chocolate, peppermint, and espresso.
- 1/2 cup nondairy creamer or milk of choice (unsweetened)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Double shot of espresso (or 2 oz very strong coffee)
- Optional: nondairy whipped cream & crushed candy canes for topping
- Brew espresso into a large mug.
- Add all ingredients (except the espresso) to a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk well, until the cocoa powder is dissolved and the milk is hot (there's no need to boil it).
- Use a handheld milk frother to froth the peppermint mocha mixture.
- Pour the peppermint mocha creamer into the brewed espresso. Optional: top with nondairy whipped cream and crushed candy canes.
Espresso: If you don't have an espresso machine/espresso beans, use the darkest roast you can. You can also simply make double strength regular coffee. Plus, if you're caffeine sensitive, you can absolutely make this with decaffeinated coffee/espresso. Note that 1 shot of espresso is equal to 1 fluid ounce. We use a double shot of espresso in this recipe (2 ounces), so if you are using regular brewed coffee, you should use 2 ounces (1/4 cup).
Maple syrup: You can also substitute with agave syrup, another liquid sweetener, or even regular sugar. Note: if using regular (or brown) sugar, make sure to heat and whisk until the sugar is completely dissolved.
Make ahead: Increase the ingredient quantities and make a big batch to have on hand all week! We like to 8x the recipe to have enough for a few days. Store the leftover creamer in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Make it iced: Simply let the espresso and homemade creamer come to room temperature before serving, then pour over ice. No need to froth the milk for an iced version.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 121
- Sugar: 18.3 g
- Sodium: 106.4 mg
- Fat: 2.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 26.6 g
- Fiber: 2.4 g
- Protein: 2.3 g
Keywords: vegan peppermint mocha