These buttery, nutty pecan snowball cookies are a classic family recipe made vegan and gluten free! They're soft, pillowy, rich, easy to make (just 5 ingredients) and so festive.
- 1 1/4 cups vegan butter* (let sit at room temp for 15 minutes)
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar, sifted + more for coating
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tsp ice cold water
- 2 cups gluten free all purpose flour*, sifted (or regular AP flour)
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or using an electric hand mixer), cream butter until light and fluffy (about 1 minute). Add sifted powdered sugar and continue mixing until incorporated.
- Add vanilla extract and cold water and mix until combined.
- Slowly add in sifted flour in a few batches until fully incorporated, then add chopped pecans.
- Cover bowl with a tea towel and refrigerate dough for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325˚F.
- Using a 1 tbsp cookie scoop, roll dough into evenly-sized balls. (They should be bite-sized and even – use your hands to roll into a smooth circle shape.)
- Place cookies on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. These cookies won't spread much, so you can put them pretty close together. Bake for 16-18 minutes in the middle rack of your oven. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add about 2/3 cup powdered sugar to a medium-sized mixing bowl. Carefully transfer each cookie to the powdered sugar and roll until coated. (Note: the cookies are fragile, so if you'd prefer, you can sift powdered sugar over each cookie instead of rolling them in sugar)
Storage: These cookies will store nicely at room temperature (in an airtight container) for up to 5 days before they start to go stale.
Freezer storage: These cookies freeze best without the powdered sugar coating. Freeze the cooled cookies for up to 3 months, then let thaw to room temperature before coating in powdered sugar.
*Vegan butter recommendations: Earth Balance (soy free), Melt Organic, Country Crock Plant Butter
Gluten free flour recommendation: Bob's Red Mill 1:1 Gluten Free Baking Flour
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 174
- Sugar: 3.4 g
- Sodium: 53.3 mg
- Fat: 14.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.7 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 12 g
- Fiber: 1.4 g
- Protein: 1.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan snowball cookies