This crazy delicious vegan mushroom stew rivals any non-vegan version. Served with creamy roasted garlic and chive mashed potatoes, it's vegetarian comfort food at its finest!
- 5 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
- 4 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 5 tbsp gluten free all purpose flour
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 1/2 cup yukon gold or russet potatoes, cubed
- 20 oz button or cremini mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 cup green beans (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley
- 2 1/2 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1- 1 1/2 cups red wine
- 4-5 cups yukon gold (or similar) potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth or non-dairy milk
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 cloves roasted garlic
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and sauté for 7-8 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- While onions are cooking, add remaining 3 tbsp olive oil to a smaller pot over medium-low heat. Add flour and whisk until no lumps remain. Slowly whisk in 2 cups of vegetable broth and whisk until smooth.
- Once onions and garlic are softened, add carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, green beans, peas, herbs, tomato paste, salt, pepper, and paprika to pot and stir well. Add red wine and let simmer for a minute or two before adding in broth + flour mixture + remaining two cups of broth.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 1 1/2-2 hours, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Turn an entire head of garlic on its side and slice the top off, just enough to expose the cloves. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper, wrap in aluminum foil and roast for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown and tender.
- Wash, peel and cube potatoes. Add to a large pot of boiling water, salted with 1 tbsp kosher salt. Boil until tender - 15-20 minutes.
- Drain water from potatoes and add to large bowl. Mash well.
- Stir in butter, broth or milk, salt, roasted garlic and chives. Taste and adjust salt + butter as needed.
- Serve stew over mashed potatoes and garnish with fresh parsley. Enjoy!
You can use white button mushrooms, cremini mushrooms, or even chopped portobello mushrooms in this stew.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan stew