When a comfort food craving hits, this vegan mushroom alfredo hits the spot! We use a homemade cashew cream to create a lighter, dairy-free version that doesn’t lack in creaminess. Say hello to your new favorite mushroom pasta recipe!
Cashew Cream Alfredo:
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in room temp water for at least 2 hours
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 8 oz cooked gluten free or regular fettuccine pasta (or other pasta or choice)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves finely minced garlic
- 1/4 cup minced shallots (or yellow onion)
- 8 oz button mushrooms
- 8 oz shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp freshly chopped parsley - reserve 1 tbsp for garnish
- Soak cashews in room temperature water for at least 2 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Add cashews to blender with remaining cashew cream ingredients. Blend until smooth and creamy. If not using right away, store in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to a week.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, preheat a large sauté pan to medium. Add olive oil, shallots and garlic and cook for a few minutes, until softened. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside - you’ll add them back in later.
- Slice mushrooms and increase pan heat to medium-high. Add mushrooms to pan and cook until most of the liquid is reduced - about 15 minutes. Stir often.
- Boil pasta until al dente. Reserve about a cup of pasta water in case you need to loosen up the alfredo sauce.
- When the liquid is mostly reduced from mushroom pan, deglaze with white wine. Add back in shallots and garlic, salt, pepper and fresh parsley. Cook for a few more minutes, taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- When pasta is finished cooking, add to the pan with mushrooms and coat with alfredo sauce. If you need to loosen up the sauce, stir in a bit of the hot reserved pasta water. Top with more fresh parsley and enjoy!
If you're short on time, you can soak the cashews for 30 minutes in hot water instead of 2 hours in room temperature water.
Be sure to reserve some pasta water after you've cooked the pasta. You can use this water to loosen up the sauce if it looks too thick.
Using tongs makes it much easier to toss the pasta, mushrooms, and sauce together.
Feel free to use whatever variety of mushrooms you prefer. Button, shiitake, and chanterelles are all great in this recipe.
Like the mushrooms, feel free to use the pasta of your choice. We'd recommend a flat, long noodled pasta like fettuccine or tagliatelle.
Make sure to use high heat when cooking the mushrooms, this will help to remove any excess moisture from them.
Fresh parsley on top really helps to cut into the creaminess of the sauce, and adds a fresh, herbaceous flavor. Don't skimp on it!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 552
- Sugar: 6.2 g
- Sodium: 900.4 mg
- Fat: 27.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 61.9 g
- Fiber: 5.5 g
- Protein: 17.3 g
Keywords: vegan mushroom alfredo