Creamy, dreamy vegan mushroom alfredo: a comfort classic made significantly healthier!
Cashew Cream Alfredo:
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in room temp water for at least 2 hours
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 8 oz cooked gluten free or regular fettuccine pasta (or other pasta or choice)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves finely minced garlic
- 4 tbsp minced shallots
- 8 oz button mushrooms
- 8 oz shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp freshly chopped parsley – reserve 1 tbsp for garnish
- Soak cashews in room temperature water for at least 2 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Add to blender with remaining cashew cream ingredients. Blend until smooth and creamy. If not using right away, store in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to a week.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, preheat a large sauté pan to medium. Add olive oil, shallots and garlic and cook for a few minutes, until softened. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside - you’ll add them back in later.
- Slice mushrooms and increase pan heat to medium-high. Add mushrooms to pan and cook until most of the liquid is reduced - about 15 minutes. Stir often.
- Boil pasta until al dente. Reserve about a cup of pasta water in case you need to loosen up the alfredo sauce.
- When the liquid is mostly reduced from mushroom pan, deglaze with white wine. Add back in shallots and garlic, salt, pepper and fresh parsley. Cook for a few more minutes, taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- When pasta is finished cooking, add to the pan with mushrooms and coat with alfredo sauce. If you need to loosen up the sauce, stir in a bit of the hot reserved pasta water. Top with more fresh parsley and enjoy!
Tongs are a helpful tool when it comes to properly coating this pasta.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan mushroom alfredo