Minestrone is one of our favorite classic soup recipes – this version is vegan and packed with healthy, delicious vegetables, beans and pasta. So comforting!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 6–8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp dried Italian seasoning blend
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1/4–1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup dry pasta of choice*
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz. can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen lima beans or edamame
- For topping: fresh parsley, parmesan
- Heat a soup pot over medium. Add oil.
- Add onion and sauté for 5-7 minutes, stirring often, until softened. Add garlic and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes. Add celery and carrots and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, vegetable broth, red wine vinegar, Italian seasoning, parsley, salt and 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes. Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes on low.
- Add pasta* and beans and continue cooking for about 10 minutes, until pasta is finished cooking. Taste and add additional 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes if desired. Serve topped with vegan parmesan and fresh parsley.
Use full 8 cups of broth if you are adding the 1/2 cup of pasta directly to soup. If you are cooking pasta separately, use 6 cups and cook 3/4-1 cup of pasta. Add to each individual bowl and spoon soup over the top.
If you’re planning to freeze or store this soup for meal prep, don’t add pasta directly to soup. Cook separately and add before serving.
Keywords: vegan minestrone soup