This vegan "meatloaf" is made with lentils, quinoa, mushrooms and a miso tomato glaze for a super flavorful, filling meat-free dinner. It's gluten free, easy to make and satisfying for meat-eaters and vegans alike!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup finely diced yellow onion
- 2-3 tsp finely minced garlic
- 3/4 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cup cooked brown or green lentils (3/4 cup dry)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (1/2 cup dry)
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs (we used Italian-seasoned and gluten free)
- 2 tbsp flax meal
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning blend
- 3/4 tsp fine kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tbsp low sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mild white miso paste
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tbsp mild white miso paste
- 1/2 tbsp low sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Cook lentils and quinoa according to package directions in separate pots, draining excess liquids at end.
- Preheat oven to 375˚F and line a 9x5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Heat a skillet to medium, add the olive oil and sauté onion, garlic, carrot, celery and mushrooms until softened, about 8-10 minutes.
- In a food processor, pulse together half of the sautéed vegetables and half of the lentils and quinoa. A few pulses will do (we usually do 7-8 pulses) – you don't want it to be smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly mix together the puréed vegetable/quinoa/lentil mixture along with the remaining sautéed vegetables, quinoa and lentils, along with the breadcrumbs, flax meal, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, tomato paste, tamari and miso. Use a large spatula to mix well (or use your hands if you don't mind getting messy!).
- Let the mixture sit for 15 minutes.
- Press the meatloaf mixture into the loaf pan and bake on the middle rack of your oven for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together all of the glaze ingredients until smooth. After 30 minutes, liberally brush the meatloaf with the glaze and return to oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for at least 15 minutes in the pan. Then, carefully flip onto a cutting board and slice. Enjoy warm over mashed potatoes!
See blog post for step-by-step visual instructions.
Storage: store leftovers in an airtight container for 3-5 days. Reheat in microwave or oven. You can freeze individual slices or entire meatloaf for up to 6 months.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Large Slice
- Calories: 323
- Sugar: 4.9 g
- Sodium: 323.4 mg
- Fat: 6.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 52.1 g
- Fiber: 8.1 g
- Protein: 15.5 g
Keywords: vegan meatloaf